Vintage Handmade Pahāḍa Yak, Goat & Sheep's Bells from Himalayan Mountains of Nepal and Tibet;
Our vintage, handmade Pahāḍa Bells come from the Himalayan mountains of Nepal and Tibet. Each bell is uniquely handcrafted to harness its own unique sound, allowing the animal's shepherd to know the individual whereabouts of each member of their flock.
These bells are versatile! Adorn a wreath, hang them on the wall, use them as Christmas ornaments or even as part of your next meditation/sound therapy sesh. Use your imagination - the possibilities are endless.
Note: SPECIFY YOUR STRAP CHOICE IN THE NOTES WHEN YOU ORDER (REFER TO THE STYLE NUMBERS IN THE LISTING PHOTOS).
History of Pahāḍa Shepherd's Bells:
- Adorn yak, sheep and goats in the Himalayan Mountains of Nepal and
- Handcrafted in the same fashion for over 1,000 years
- Metal is hammered and soldered by hand.
- Bells are then coated in yak butter and fired in a basin for 1-3 days. This firing technique ages the metal and creates a unique hollow sound.
- A piece of metal or petrified wood is then attached to the center of the bell providing an individualized pitch that allows the shepherd to know the sound of each animal in its care.
- Shepherds then adorn the bells with a handwoven strap that is comfortably tied around their animals' necks.
- Bells Available in 4 Sizes: Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large (see sizing slide)
Hand-dyed and Woven Pahāḍa Bell Straps
- Straps are handwoven for us by a community of women in Western Nepal.
- Strap length can be customized due to unique spacing in the weaving pattern
- Two hand-dyed yarn styles:
1. Treated Yarn: refined, smoother and brighter in color
2. Untreated Wool: more textured and softer in tone
Creative Ways to use Vintage Pahāḍa Bells:
- Wall or home decor
- Adorning a wreath
- Wind chimes
- Christmast Ornament
- Meditation or Sound Therapy
About our Manufacturing Process:
Handmade in Nepal. Each bell and strap is lovingly hand-crafted by men and women of underprivileged communities in Nepal in ethical working conditions. We provide fair wages for their work and abide by all Fair Trade guidelines.
Don't see the size you need? Click here for custom orders.